I tried ssh from cygwin (in windows) to Debian. It should delete the highlighted part of the text. Theoretically Correct vs Practical Notation. rev2023.3.3.43278. i newer had any problem with it so im curious. Just wondering why the backspace key does not work within SQL*Plus? If you can't get that to work and most everything works properly except the backspace, you can reprogram "getty" on the host you connect to to recognize what you want, and here's how (this is the oldest, most common and most universal way of solving backspace/delete issues): You ssh or telnet to your host and in the host you run the stty command. Crtl C and V worked, Ctrl-Z did not, Z worked. But it worked like a charm to me thanks to Yuksel, The problem was with 'termInfo' files, Steps he have suggested, confirm if the problem is terminal related by typing in CygWin Terminal, this should give (ignore the warning), WARNING: terminal is not fully functional, Get the information of 'TermCap' to which path or directory it is related to by typing below code in CygWin Terminal, infocmp: couldn't open terminfo file /usr/share/terminfo/63/cygwin, Or you might also get something starting with text like 'Reconstructed via infocmp', Run the below code in CygWin Terminal to run the diagnostics to get extra details about the path where the files are saved, that should respond you similar to below text, C:/cygwin / system binary,noacl, C:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin system binary,noacl, C:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib system binary,noacl, C:\cygwin\etc\terminfo /usr/share/terminfo system binary,noacl, cygdrive prefix /cygdrive user binary, noacl, posix=0, auto, from the output, you got from the 3rd step. Ctrl Z now works. Is it possible to rotate a window 90 degrees if it has the same length and width? Share Improve this answer Follow answered Aug 23, 2010 at 6:39 CarpeNoctem 2,407 4 23 32 Add a comment Your Answer Acidity of alcohols and basicity of amines. So if you press ^H (that's CONTROL-H) and your key backs up but you hit the BACKSPACE key and it does not try using stty as follows: The '\' tells it that the next character is going to be a non-printable control-character and to accept it, not "interpret" it. Not working means when I tap the backspace it prints a white space in the terminal. Browse other questions tagged. Once you press [ENTER] you should be able to press your [BACKSPACE] key and have it backspace/delete whatever you typed. Why is there a voltage on my HDMI and coaxial cables? To solve the backspace problem, type Code: $ stty erase ^H And if you want to go to the previous commands that you've typed, /sbin/sh does not provide this feature, you have to use bash, so type Code: $ bash This User Gave Thanks to gabam For This Post: Corona688 Login or Register to Ask a Question Previous Thread | Next Thread ether@jolteon MSYS /w I start my mintty session with xterm-256color, and I can reproduce the backspace problem as stated. You can check what control characters the system uses with the stty command. and sometimes it thinks it is ^H, and happens to be incorrect and outputs the wrong character when I press backspace. This is why stty isn't fixing things. I've emailed several times over the past year, but it doesn't seem like a priority. This may be unintentional; Vim sees CTRL-H as a backspace (because CTRL-H is the ASCII code for a backspace), so you also cannot map anything to that. I hope that you will enjoy my blog. So, after ssh to unix host (it doesn't depend debian it or other host) set the TERM variable according to your terminal. If that happens, the last line of text will not be passed to the body of the loop and will not be processed. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. 78.1k 28 392 615. answered Sep 30, 2015 at 11:52. This is because your default shell is sh, to use bash, just run bash from your shell. Our journey has still to come to an end. rev2023.3.3.43278. Arrow keys and backspace not working in bash after recent update, ignore package upgrades for certain packages, https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/57300?project=1&string=ncurses, [MSYS2] Term=xterm-256color does not support backspace and command history correctly, (cosmetic) xterm-256color is unreliable when using MinGW manually, https://forum.voidlinux.eu/t/solved-problems-after-todays-update/4553, ncurses: Fix double-free and prevent crash, Arrow keys broken in msys2 bash programs after installing Terminal, (fixed after rebuilding bash): editing keys don't work in CLI in bash with. Why do academics stay as adjuncts for years rather than move around? I found a solution to a problem that presented like the one above. This may seem strange, but the Linux console emulates a VT100 terminal, and this is the way things work in that realm. edit - bash does build now. This malfunctioning means the issue lies in the keyboard driver. I'm running very simple script which reads line by line and prints entered line back to terminal: It works fine, but when I'm trying to edit line with backspace character it prints ^?instead of deleting character. Not sure why it didn't previously, I guess I accidentally ran it in mingw env while now I did it in msys2 env. Did this satellite streak past the Hubble Space Telescope so close that it was out of focus? By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. TERM=blahblah . Also the backspace key works perfectly fine on Git Bash. Look around putty's options menu for a "send hard reset" option as well. Ok thats a bit simpler, but wont it affect other sources to remove the hardening ? How do I get to know the value of TERM? However, this shortcut is implemented by the X server and may not work if X hangs in some ways. If your Backspace key is not working in the current console, you may try the following ways to work around it: Ctrl + Backspace Ctrl + H Ctrl + ? The Backspace key isn't something you normally think about too much, but sometimes you might find it doesn't work correctly in the terminal, especially when logged in to a remote machine, echoing "^H" instead of erasing what you've typed. The nature of simulating nature: A Q&A with IBM Quantum researcher Dr. Jamie We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup, backspace not working, even after attempted fix, pkg-config on cygwin will not find the gsl package. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Fortunately, you can also fix this with the stty command. EDIT1: Also rebuilding the bash package with the updated ncurses fixes this error under Windows 8.1 as well. key. You ssh to your Debian from some terminal (putty, solaris dterm, debain xterm, you-name-it), this termninal announce capabilities (which includes keys such as Backspace and Tab) via TERM environment variable. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Why is this sentence from The Great Gatsby grammatical? I had exactly this. How to setup a background ssh tunnel which could automatically quit with terminal/session? You can use set -o gmacs or set -o emacs if you want it to act like emacs, that means like bash default (you can also write set -o vi in bash so that it acts like the vi editor : ( Furthermore, with this mode, backspace is control-H 3) You can write export VISUAL=gmacs (or emacs) in your .profile and dot it again or reconnect. I posted previously on SQLPLUS having a really unfriendly user interface, but with this problem makes it even worse. To do this, press Fn+Esc keys to lock and unlock the funtions touchs. @Rachel Thanks, though I found out that my problem was that the Cygwin install missed some important files (like /usr/lib/terminfo). Replacing broken pins/legs on a DIP IC package. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? So, if this does not work, it is worth trying out other below solutions. 7 Best MMO Keyboards for a Better Gaming Experience (2022 Guide), 5 Best 1800 Compact Keyboards (Your 2022 Guide), How To Fix Your Keyboard When Its Acting Weird? How can I check if a program exists from a Bash script? Does Counterspell prevent from any further spells being cast on a given turn? A place where magic is studied and practiced? /usr/share/terminfo/r/ . Assuming you're using gnome-terminal as emulator, open the Edit manu and click on Profile preferences. Just log in to the machine and type "stty erase " (note the space after "erase") and then hit the backspace key. To use this utility in Windows 10, perform the following steps: If your computer is facing a malware attack, the probability of it restricting the use of keyboard keys such as Backspace and Enter up to some extent is high. SSD as primary or secondary drive on a small Linux server? Spacebar, Enter, or Backspace Not Working Method 1: Turn off Sticky Keys and Filter Keys In Windows 10, there are two functions - Sticky Keys and Filter Keys. @Alexpux, what's wrong with _FORTIFY_SOURCE=2? ncurses seemed like the most suspicious upgrade, so I downgraded (see instructions on how to ignore package upgrades for certain packages) through: and in the next MSYS2 instance I started, terminal codes for backspace, delete, etc., worked as intended again. Added on Jan 19 2014. 0. `Why doesn't the Backspace key generate BackSpace by default?' (i) Because the VT100 had a Delete key above the Enter key. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. The reason why Google did so was several complaints of losing data unintentionally as a result of pressing Backspace while not typing. Note that Docker is not mentioned by the user. Well, the operating system comes with an integrated keyboard troubleshooter. terminfo file from source host to remote host directory: ```. I noticed few missing files in msys2 filesystem package like the one that autoregenerates fstab, what was the reason this one was removed ? By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. If so, how close was it? There is discussion here and here but it probably only gets resolved if lots of people email github support. It is useful when the physical keyboard has stopped working well. Turning off the filter keys will discard the risk of all probable interruptions to the keyboards overall functionality, which may fix the Backspace issue. The backspace key not doing backspace is actually a common problem with Linux shells and terminals (see http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO-5.html ). ether@jolteon MSYS /w What I'd like to do is bind both ^? For Working Professionals. See some explanation here https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/131105/how-to-read-over-4k-input-without-new-lines-on-a-terminal. If you preorder a special airline meal (e.g. I encountered this problem when I tried to add bash and use it in a distroless image. Where does this (supposedly) Gibson quote come from? To do this: Press Windows logo key + R on your. The easiest way (which did not work everytime while testing) is to simply reinstall terminfo and termcap via setup.exe, as mentioned here: Backspace does not work in Cygwin. In my case, the remote machine doesn't support "screen-256color": so either modifying the tmux config or setting directly export TERM="xterm-256color" would solve the problem. This was the reason in my case.. for that particular user. Keep in mind that we may receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. Why backspace key is not working? Short story taking place on a toroidal planet or moon involving flying, Open tmux (basically another terminal within a terminal app), From tmux run ssh command & check TERM setting, Check the following locations and find the, Open a new session to refresh your terminal. Problem with finding FILE strict is solved yesterday. vegan) just to try it, does this inconvenience the caterers and staff? Since I installed a newer version I got a problem: The delete as well as the backspace key work both like delete in tcsh's in xterms under X11R6. One way to get around it is by including stdio.h before any of the ssp headers in ncurses. If you preorder a special airline meal (e.g. Rebuild bash can fix the problem. The text was updated successfully, but these errors were encountered: It seems the shell is not able to move the cursor backwards, and when it tries to re-render the line, it just appends the new string instead of replacing the old one. The latter is possible when you use the virtual keyboards Backspace key. And during that research, I was led to the above link. Following change made it work, Found this at Reinstalling does not work either and i cannot recompile it either because the bootstrapped version also cannot find itself. Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Hi, my name is Luke and Im the creator of the TechTreatBox. Something wrong with shell or termcap library on debian. After connecting from Fedora to an OpenWrt host with ssh the remote bash Doug The Backspace key is a popular shortcut in Chrome. No idea why. The -a flag will give a human-readable output of the control characters. I build my application image with the multi-stages build. You can put this in the shell's startup file, such as .bashrc for Bash and .zshrc for Zsh to have this set automatically when you log into the system. Also the backspace key works perfectly fine on Git Bash I tried googling but didn't find what I was looking for! Changing `TERM` (e.g. Most *NIX hosts don't know what a 'cygwin' termtype is so they don't know how to do onscreen character manipulation such as inserts, deletes, scrolls, font changes, etc. How can this new ban on drag possibly be considered constitutional? http://lifepluslinux.blogspot.in/2014/08/backspace-doesnt-work-in-vim-on-cygwin.html, This will add it to the .bash_profile (not .bashrc, which didn't work for me, and with a leading line break), After spending 2 days of time reading stuff online.